Sunday, May 3, 2009

Failsafe mayonnaise


This recipe draws on the recipe on p55 of Everyday Cooking and that on of 239 of Friendly Food.

Ingredients

1 Clove garlic
1 Egg room temp and separated
salt
2 t hot water
1 t citric acid
150 ml canola oil
100 ml peark juice

Method

Peel garlic: I used the tip from the Forumthermomix board o putting clove in on reverse, speed 4 to peel - worked a treat
My egg wasn't room temperature so I separated it and put the egg yolk, chopped garlic, salt, citric acid and water in TM bowl and mixed on speed 4 at temp of 37 for 2 minutes.

With blases rotating on speed 4 I slowly added the oil and pear juice. I didn't read the book correctly - I should have left the MC ON and this would have helped with consistent speed of adding. Did this over 4-6 mins.

Then added egg white and mixed for 10 seconds.

Verdict

It is a little runny but tastes delicious. Can't wait to make coleslaw with it.

2 comments:

  1. i actually have the friendly food cookbook (an older version) i'll have to have another look at it....

    can you just buy pear juice in the juice aisle at the supermarket?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am following the Failsafe too - and am also Dairy Free due to breastfeed my son who has milk allergies (only mild). The pear juice recommended is actually the syrup from the cans of Pear in Syrup (not the light one) but I guess you could have a look in your juice aisle to see if you can buy it in a carton!?

    ReplyDelete